logo

ph Call Us Now:

(02) 4721 2880

About Us

History:

When did tennis begin in Penrith? There is a vague reference in the Nepean Times newspaper (30/6/1883), indicating that a tennis club started in 1881. It is definitely known that a Penrith Lawn Tennis Club was created in 1893.

The first tennis association in the Penrith district was formed in 1914, but the intervention of World War I saw it fold the following year.

After the War tennis underwent a revival in Australia, particularly in the country areas of NSW.

Penrith was a town of about 3,500 people in March 1921 when a meeting open to all tennis clubs in the area was held in the School of Arts to once again form a tennis association and organize a local competition. The person mainly responsible for promoting the idea was Mr Harry Innes of Mt Druitt. It was tentatively decided to form an association, which was confirmed on the 20th April 1921 when Nepean District Tennis Association was officially created at a meeting attended by representatives of nine clubs. Well-known Penrith identity and former Mayor Dr Frederick Higgins was elected President, a position he held throughout the 1920’s. Mr A.L.

image

Stanton was the first Secretary with Mr M. Newman the first Treasurer. The boundary of the Association covered the area from Glenbrook to Blacktown, and extended three miles on either side of the western railway line.

image

12 teams nominated for the first competition, which started in May. The final was played on the Railway court (next to the old Railway Street Theatre Company) where the Waratah club from Kingswood defeated Castlereagh (8/53 to 1/37). The prize was a new tennis net for the club. At the completion of the competition, Association championships were held, in doubles only, with an entry fee of 1/6d per player. The winners were John Roseby and Bert Wall (gents’ doubles), Nita Colless and Gwen Jones (ladies’ doubles), and Charles Clarke and Gwen Jones (mixed doubles) - our first "District Champions".

Historical Records:

Association Office-Bearers 1921 to Present (click below):

Association District Champions 1921 to Present (click below):

Association District Veterans' Champions 1994 to Present (click below):

Association Constitution (as adopted 22nd August 2014):

Quick Contact

captcha
(*) Required Fields